Burna Boy Biography – Age, Career, Education, Early Life, Family, Songs, Albums, Awards, And Net Worth
- Let us discuss Burna Boy’s Biography in terms of her Age, Career, Education, Early Life, Family, Movies And Net Worth and much more.
Ebunoluwa Damini Ogulu Better Known as Burna Boy is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, stage performer, and recording artist who specializes in Afrobeat and reggae-dancehall. He rose to prominence in 2012, following the release of his single “Like to Party.” He is the CEO of the Spaceship Entertainment record label, and he is well-known both nationally and locally.
In this article, I will discuss Burna Boy’s biography, career, age, place of birth, net worth, musics, and given name. Let’s start with her profile.
|Full Name:||Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu|
|Stage Name||Burna Boy|
|Date of Birth:||2 July 1991|
|Place of Birth::||Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria|
|State of Origin:||Rivers State|
|Occupation:||Singer and Songwriter|
|Record Label||Spaceship Entertainment record label|
|Net Worth:||$25 million|
Burna Boy Biography
Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu (born July 2, 1991) is a well-known Afrobeats artist known professionally as Burna Boy. Burna Boy is widely regarded as one of the best songwriters and singers on the African continent, with a lengthy discography and numerous awards to his name.
Twice As Tall, his fifth studio album, was named Best World Music Album at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards in 2021.
The music giant came to the limelight in 2012 after he was signed to Aristokrat Records and dropped the song Like To Party, which was the lead single off his debut album, L.I.F.E, released in 2013. A three-time International Best Act at the BET Awards and first Afrobeats artiste to sell out Wembley arena (SSE arena), Burna Boy is the founder of Spaceship Entertainment and is currently signed to Warner Music Group.
It just took Burna Boy a couple of years to accomplish what the vast majority of his counterparts couldn’t accomplish in such a large number of years. He raged the music business in 2010 and in the long run worked his way to the top following two years, cutting a specialty for himself as one of Nigeria’s quick-rising stars to keep an eye out for.
The vocalist may not be as well-known as Fela Kuti or King Sunny Ade, but he has everything it takes to become incredible like these men of greatness. Burna Boy possesses the voice, ability, aptitudes, allure, and a valiant soul that has propelled them through numerous obstacles in the industry.
I believe you should learn more about this superstar and his musical career. You’ll learn the real reasons you should think about Burna Boy right now.
Burna Boy Early Life and Education
Burna Boy was born Damini Ogulu on July 2, 1991. He was born in Port Harcourt, a coastal city in Nigeria. He is a Rivers State native who is also from Nigeria’s Niger Delta and South-South regions.
His mother, a Yoruba woman named Bose Ogulu, is of mixed ancestry. Samuel Ogulu is his father’s name. Burna Boy comes from an artistic family.
He is the older brother of Nissi Ogulu, a singer and mechanical engineer. He has an older sibling, a sister named Romani Ogulu, who is a scientist and designer. His grandfather is Benson Idonijie, a veteran radio broadcaster, music critic and one-time band manager of Fela Kuti. Also, his mother was a former Kalakuta Queen, one of the female dancers of Fela Kuti.
His parents raised him in the Christian faith and spent his early years in Port Harcourt and Lagos City. Coming from a family with a rich art background helped Burna Boy discover his musical talent quite early, and he didn’t face any resistance from his parents in pursuing his passion. Instead, they encouraged him, which motivated him to start composing songs while he was still in high school.
With the goal of becoming one of the greatest musicians of all time, he knew that his music would have to be unique in order to stand out. As a result, he chose to follow in the footsteps of Afrobeats, listening to records by Bob Marley, Fela Kuti, and King Sunny Ade, among others.
Burna Boy comes from an upper-middle-class family, which provided him with a good education.
He finished creche and primary school at a prestigious private school in Port Harcourt. He attended Corona Secondary School in Agbara, Ogun State, for his middle and high school education.
He moved to the United Kingdom for his university education, where he earned a degree in Media Technology from the University of Sussex.
Burna Boy Career
Burna Boy recorded two mixtapes, Burn Notice and Burn Identity, after learning how to make beats with FruityLoops and signing to Aristokrat Records. In 2012, he released the hit song “Like To Party” under this label, catapulting him into the spotlight.
Like To Party is the first single from his debut studio album, L.I.F.E, which was released on August 12, 2013. Other chart-topping singles on the album include Run My Race, Yawa Dey, Always Love You, and Tonight.
Burna Boy was nominated for The Headies’ 2013 Next Rated Artiste award. However, he was defeated by fellow singer Sean Tizzle for the award. At the 2014 Nigerian Entertainment Awards, his debut album L.I.F.E was nominated for Best Album Of The Year.
In February 2015, two years after becoming a music star, he left Aristokrat Records to launch his own music label, Spaceship Entertainment. He has released four other commercially successful albums and music projects as Spaceship.
On November 25, 2015, he released his highly anticipated second studio album, On A Spaceship. The album was accompanied by a debut EP, Redemption, which was released in September 2016.
Burna Boy made his comeback in January 2018 when he released his third album, Outside, which was dropped on the 26th of that month. The album helped him secure recognition in the international music scene with raving singles such as Ye, Heaven’s Gate, Rock Your Body, Koni Baje, Sekkle Down and Streets Of Africa. The album went on to win Album Of The Year at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards.
In 2019, he was among the group of African artists invited to work on Beyoncé‘s album, The Lion King: The Gift. He wrote and recorded the single, Ja Ara E, and earned the honour of being the only guest artiste with their own track on the album.
Burna Boy became the first Afrobeats artist to sell out Wembley Arena that same year. Moreso, he went home with four awards at the 2019 Soundcity MVP Awards Festival, winning the coveted African Artiste Of The Year, Listener’s Choice and Best Male MVP award categories.
His fourth studio album, African Giant, which contains top-charting singles like Anybody, Killin’ Dem, Gbona, On The Low, Dangote, amongst others, was released to critical acclaim and commercial success on the 26th Of July 2019. The album was nominated for the Best World Music Album category at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards in 2020. However, he lost the award to Beninese singer, Angelique Kidjo.
In 2020, during the pandemic, Burna Boy began recording his fifth studio album, Twice As Tall, which was executive produced by American music icon, P. Diddy (Sean Combs) and his mother, Bose Ogulu. The album, which was released on the 14th Of August 2020, won the Best World Music Album category at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards. Thus, Burna Boy made history as the first Nigerian artiste to have a back-to-back nomination at the Grammys.
Burna Boy‘s single, Destiny (one of the tracks in the African Giant album), was included in the playlist at the inauguration of Joe Biden as the president of the United States. His song, My Money, My Baby, appeared in the film, Queen and Slim‘s soundtrack album. His latest single featuring Wizkid, Ballon D’Or, was released in January 2022.
Burna Boy Singles
- Shobeedo (Freestyle) a non-album single – 2011.
- Like to Party produced by Leriq in the album L.I.F.E – 2012.
- Tonight produced by Leriq in the album L.I.F.E – 2012.
- Run My Race produced by Leriq in the album L.I.F.E – 2013.
- Yawa Dey produced by Leriq in the album L.I.F.E – 2013.
- Celebrate produced byGospelOnDeBeatz as a non-album single – 2013.
- Won Da Mo (featuring D’banj) produced by DeeVee as a non-album single – 2013.
- Rockstar produced by Leriq as a non-album single – 2014.
- Don Gorgon produced by Spellz as a non-album single – 2014.
- Check and Balance produced by Spellz as a non-album single – 2014.
- The Realest produced by Simba Tagz in the album On a Spaceship – 2015.
- Rizzla produced by J Fem in the album On a Spaceship – 2015.
- Pree Me produced by Leriq in the Redemption EP – 2016.
- Mandem Anthem produced by Fresh as a non-album single – 2016.
- Gba produced by Chopstix as a non-album single – 2017.
- Koni Baje produced by P2J in the album Outside – 2017.
- Rock Your Body produced by Juls in the album Outside – 2018.
- Heaven’s Gate (featuring Lily Allen) produced by Fred Gibson in the album Outside – 2018.
- Sekkle Down (featuring J Hus) produced by Jae5 in the album Outside – 2018.
- Devil in California produced by P2J in the album Outside – 2018.
- Ye produced by Phantom in the album Outside – 2018.
- On the low produced by Kelp in the African Giant album – 2018
- Gbona produced by Kelp in the African Giant album – 2018
- Killin Dem (featuring Zlatan) produced by Kelp in the African Giant album – 2018
- Dangote produced by Kelp in the African Giant album– 2019
- Anybody produced by P2j in the African Giant album – 2019
- Pull Up produced by Kelp in the African Giant album – 2019
- Money Play produced by Mr.kleb non-album single – 2020
- Odogwu Produced by Kelp non-album single – 2020
Burna Boy’s Music Videos.
- P.A.I.D directed by Sesan in 2015.
- Pree Me directed by Meji Alabi in 2016.
- Déjà vu directed by Clarence Peters in 2017.
- Hallelujah directed by Mat Max in 2017.
- Heaven’s Gate/Sekkle Down directed by Clarence Peters in 2018.
- Ye directed by Clarence Peters in 2018.
- Gbona directed by Clarence Peters in 2018.
- On the Low directed by Meji Alabi in 2018.
- Killin Dem produced by Prodigeezy in 2019.
- Dangote directed by Clarence Peters in 2019.
- Anybody directed by Clarence Peters in 2019.
- Odogwu directed by TG Omori. In 2020.
Burna Boy Featured in
- Amorawa with Wande Coal in a non-album single – 2013.
- Gba Gbe E with DJ Spinall in a non-album single – 2014.
- Temper with Skales in a non-album single – 2016.
- Ayepo (Remix) with Airboyin a non-album single– 2017.
- Gbefun One Time with Skales in the album The Never Say Never Guy – 2017.
- Name On It with Four of Diamonds – 2018.
- Sunshine Riptide with Fall Out Boy in the album Mania in 2018.
- Your Choice with Lily Allen in the album No Shame – 2018.
- Serious with DJ Spinall in the album Iyanu – 2018.
- Baba Nla with Larry Gaaga (also featuring 2Baba and D’banj) in a non-album single – 2018.
- All My Life with Major Lazer in the album Africa Is the Future – 2018.
- Legend with Show Dem Camp in the album Palm Wine Music 2 – 2018.
- Champion Lover with Peruzzi in the album Heartwork – 2018.
- Location with Dave in the album Psychodrama – 2019.
- No Option with Dj snake in the album Carte Blanche – 2019
- Be Honest with Jorja Smith in the album TBA – 2019
- December with IDK in the album Is He Real – 2019
- All in with wretch 32 in the album Upon Reflection – 2019
- Own it with stormzy Ed Sheeran in the album Heavy Is the Head – 2019
- Play Play with J hus on the album Big Conspiracy – 2020
- We must Groove with 2baba in the album Warriors – 2020
Burna Boy Albums.
- L.I.F.E – 2013
- On a Spaceship – 2015
- Outside – 2018
- African Giant – 2019
- Twice as tall – 2020
Burna Boy Mixtapes
- Burn Notice – 2011
- Burn Identity – 2011
Burna Boy Ep/Album
- Redemption – 2016
- Steel and Copper (with DJDS) – 2019
Burna Boy Endorsements Deals
- One of the ways to know a successful artist is for him/her to be a brand ambassador for companies, Burna boy is not left out as he has his share of endorsements Currently, he is a brand ambassador to Globacom, Nigerian Breweries Plc, and Mortell Cognac.
Burna Boy Awards & Nominations
- Nominated at The Headies for Next Rated in 2013.
- Best New Act of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2013.
- South South Music Awards named Like to Party as Best Pop in 2013.
- MTV Africa Music Awards honored him as the Best New Act in 2014.
- Best R&B Single Nominee at the Headies 2014.
- Nominated L.I.F.E at the Headies as the Best R&B/Pop Album in 2014.
- Hip Hop World Revelation of the Year nominee at the Headies 2014.
- L.I.F.E was nominated for the Album of the Year at the Headies 2014.
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated him for the Best Pop Artist of the Year in 2015.
- L.I.F.E was named Best Album of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2015.
- YouTube artist on the rise in 2018.
- ‘Ye’ was named as Listener’s Choice at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2019.
- At the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival Ye was named as the Song of the Year in 2019.
- He was named Best Male MVP at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2019.
- African Artiste of the Year at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2019.
- Best International Act at the BET Awards 2019.
- Apple Music Up Next Artist in July 2019.
- Killin Dem with Zlatan won Best Collaboration in 2019
- Best African Act at the MTV Europe Music Award
- Burna Boy won Song of the Year and Artist of the year also nominated for video of the year, Best Live Act, Best male west Africa, and Crossing Boundaries with music at the African Muzik Magazine Awards in 2019
- He won west African male artist of the year, Album of the year (African Giant), Song of the year (Killin Dem), and was Nominated for Best collaboration at All Africa music awards 2019
- Burna boy won African Artist of the Year, Best Male MVP and was Nominated for Listener’s choice and Viewer’s choice at Soundcity MVP Awards Festival In 2020
- In 2020 Burna boy was nominated for Best world music album (African Giant) and International male solo artist at Grammy Awards
- Burna wins the Best International Act at the MOBO Awards 2020.
Burna Boy Personal Life
Burna Boy is widely regarded as the “Giant of African Music,” and is regarded as one of the continent’s top three artists, alongside Wizkid and Davido. On July 2, the Port Harcourt-born singer turned 31 years old, and as expected, his family, close friends, and management team threw a large party to commemorate the occasion.
Bose Ogulu, his mother, is currently in charge of him. He travels between Lagos and London, where his girlfriend lives. Burna Boy started dating UK female artist Stefflon Don in 2018.
He is one of the country’s wealthiest artists, and this is evident by his luxurious lifestyle. He has featured in top magazines like Vogue, British GQ and Evening Standard. He is a football enthusiast and supports the English club, Manchester United. He is a brand ambassador of Pepsi, Nigerian Breweries PLC and tech company, Chipper Cash.
FAQ(Frequently Asked Question) Related To Burna Boy Biography
Q1). Is Burna Boy related to Fela?
No, Burna Boy and Fela are not related, He only draws his inspiration from the Legend, Fela Kuti. It is evident enough that Burna Boy sample a lot of Fela Kuti’s songs and he doesn’t deny that
Q2). Is Burna Boy A graduate?
Burna Boy is a dropout student at Oxford Brooke’s University in the United Kingdom.
Q3). Who is the mother of Burna Boy?
Bose Ogulu is the mother of Nigerian singer Burna Boy who is also his manager. Bose Ogulu is popularly known as Mama Burna in music circles.
Q4). Is Burna Boy Yoruba or Igbo?
Burna was born in River state and he grew up there, Not related to Yoruba.
Burna Boy Social Media
Burna Boy Net Worth
Burna Boy’s success in the music industry has enabled him to amass a fortune through royalties, brand partnership deals, and live performance.
His net worth is estimated to be between $20 million and $25 million.
Thank you for taking the time to read Burna Boy’s Full Biography And Net Worth, which includes his Date Of Birth, State Of Origin, Marriage, Children, House, Cars, Educational Background, Qualifications, Childhood, History, Wikipedia, Bio, Siblings, and much more.
If you have any further information regarding The Full Biography And Profile Of Burna Boy, please contact us via the comment box below or by our email address on the contact us page.